ULYSSES THEATRE ON BRIJUNI ISLANDS

AUTORICA: Aleksandra Misztalska


I am Aleksandra and I study the third year of theatre production and organization of events at the University of Łódź. Personally, I choose to believe that if there was not for the events part, I would never apply to study something connected to theatre. It is not that I do not enjoy it, however I always considered going to theatre as a necessity (due to many trips to theatre that were organized while I was still at school and I found it not entertaining). I have not known that kind of theatre that could interest me. Because we all have heard about Shakespeare, ancient theatre, “Les Misérables”. But since I started learning about the roots of theatre, the fact that there are variety of topics theatre can cover, I was amazed. I always knew I had just to find the type of theatre that I admire. 
During my Erasmus+ student exchange in Pula, while there was a lockdown in April and there were not many choices regarding the places I can travel to, there was no public transport, I was forced to either walk many kilometers or stay home. I chose the first option. And I was startled. When I discovered multiple old forts, I could not wait to wake up the next day and explore new spots. I think I have never felt more connected to history, especially since I found that there are events organized in there, some parties, plays. It all seemed and still seams extraordinary to me. It was built by Austro-Hungarians due to the war, but it just stayed like this, many of those forts are neglected to this day. 


I found out that there is a Ulysses theatre in Brijuni Islands on the Mali Brijun, and during the pandemic I started reading about this institution. It takes place in a Fort Minor, a huge construction that is not used frequently since to get there you must use a ferry to the little island. Not a huge number of people visit the smaller island, as majority of them know Brijuni for the huge National Park on the bigger, more enormous side of Brijuni. Some of the shows in the theatre are the plays like “King Lear” but also “Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf?”, which prompts us to believe there are not only ancient theatre plays there. I fell in love with the image of a theatre inside a fort that is on a little island. It makes me feel like the historic building has found its destiny and everything comes full circle, as in the ancient spot there are modern, extraordinary events and theatre plays. 

Izvor: https://www.np-brijuni.hr/hr/planiraj-posjet/organizirana-dogadanja/kazaliste-ulysses

This is what the founder of a theatre, Rade Šerbedžija, said in 2001 “I set foot on this island and wandered around the amazing fortress which promised unbelievable theatrical beauty. Each wall a memory, each tree a hope. I endeavour to restore the energy connecting overflowing rivers and ruined shores. I’m starting this theatre so that new energies can get intertwined and young people can fortify the walls of this fortress of art with their creativity and vitality”. 

Now they show their productions and cultivate the cultural heritage that originated 
in a Fort Minor, all over the world. You can see what it looks like under the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3UToUPREQ

I truly want to visit this place when I would get a chance to do so.

Primjedbe

Popularni postovi